Icon: Vladimirskaya Mother of God
|Name:||Icon: Vladimirskaya Mother of God||Size:||30,9 x 27 cm|
The Vladimirskaya was taken to Kiev in the early 12th century as a gift from the Byzantine imperial court, and was later taken to the city of Vladimir, from where it derives its name. In 1395, the Vladimirskaya was taken to Moscow, when Vladimir was threatened by the Turkic armies of Timur. After the Turk troops had been driven back- thanks to the Vladimirskaya- the icon was placed in a church in the Kremlin. From here, it was repeatedly brought out to help the Russian armies achieve their victories over the Mongols. The icon was given the honorific title of “Mother of Russia”, and now hangs in the Tretyakov Museum in Moscow.
The type of icon is one of loving-kindness (Oumileinye), the emphasis is on the emotional bonding between Mother and Child.
Their faces sensitively modelled with subtle shading. Characteristically his left foot is exposed.
The Mother of God supports Christ and gestures to Him with her left hand. The Child wraps his hand around her neck and brings his face close to his Mother. He gazes into her eyes, but his Mother looks to the viewer. Their faces are sensitively modelled with subtle shading. Characteristically his left foot is exposed.