Icon: Vladimirskaya Mother of God
|Name:||Icon: Vladimirskaya Mother of God||Size:||31,8 x 26 cm|
The Vladimirskaya was taken to Kiev in the early 12th century as a gift from the Byzantine imperial court, and was later taken to the city of Vladimir, from where it derives its name. In 1395, the Vladimirskaya was taken to Moscow, when Vladimir was threatened by the Turkic armies of Timur. After the Turk troops had been driven back- thanks to the Vladimirskaya- the icon was placed in a church in the Kremlin. From here, it was repeatedly brought out to help the Russian armies achieve their victories over the Mongols. The icon was given the honorific title of “Mother of Russia”, and now hangs in the Tretyakov Museum in Moscow.
The type of icon is one of loving-kindness (Oumileinye), the emphasis is on the emotional bonding between Mother and Child. The Christ Child extends his hands around his Mother’s neck, embracing her. Their faces are sensitively modelled with subtle shading.