Icon: Tikvinskaya Mother of God
|Name:||Icon: Tikvinskaya Mother of God||Size:||88,5 x 66,5 cm|
The Tikvinskaya is one of the four well-known miracle-working images of the Mother of God. Along with the Vladimir, Kazan and Smolensk, the Tikvin has a interesting history. According to tradition fisherman saw the icon moving in a circle of light over Lake Ladoga to the Tikvinka river in 1383.
The icon was placed in a wooden church and survived several fires. In the 16th century it was placed in a brick church dedicated to the Dormition. In 1613, after the vision of a blind widow, the icon was used to repel the invading Swedes. During World War II the icon was brought to safety in the USA. In 2004 the icon was returned to its home village Tikvin. The Tikvin Mother of God is the Patroness of families.
The icon most probably was displayed on the local tier of an iconostasis. The ivory colored gesso is visible on the background.